• What is the mission of the Institute of Jamaica?
To enhance the awareness of our Jamaican cultural and scientific heritage and ethos: to develop policies and manage programmes for the acquisition, collection, research, preservation, protection, documentation, analysis, display and dissemination of our literature, science, history, material culture and the creative arts and in so doing, to celebrate our heritage.
• What is the vision of the Institute of Jamaica?
The creation of a dynamic, cost efficient and sustainable organisation sensitive to the needs of the Jamaican people and consistent with its role as the primary institution dedicated to the Preservation of Jamaica’s Natural and Cultural Heritage and, using this heritage through educational programmes to stimulate to reflect on the nation’s past, an awareness of the present and equipped to help in the shaping of their future.
• What is the mandate of the Institute of Jamaica?
The Institute of Jamaica is guided by the mandate, “For the
Encouragement of Literature, Science and Art in Jamaica. This is
achieved through the works of its Divisions:
- African Caribbean Institute of Jamaica /Jamaica Memory Bank (ACIJ/JMB)
- Jamaica Music Museum (JAMM)
- Liberty Hall: The Legacy of Marcus Garvey
- Museums of History and Ethnography
- National Gallery of Jamaica
- Natural History Museum of Jamaica
- Programmes Coordination Division
The Jamaica Journal is the flagship publication of the
• How do you make purchases from the Institute of Jamaica ?
Kindly contact the Business Development Officer at 922-0620-6 Ext. 326 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• How do you book a tour?
To book a tour, kindly contact the Tour Desk at 922-0620-6 Ext. 320.
• What are the Institute's opening hours?
Mondays to Thursdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fridays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.